Wings~of~War Progress Report

For public discussion of Wings~of~War events

Moderators: Tiger, Space

69th_Stonehalo

Re: Wings~of~War Progress Report

Unread post by 69th_Stonehalo »

I dont have a "mods" or "#UP#" folder and now I am unable to join the room. And after just doing a complete reinstall, the reason is not because it's installed incorrectly ;-). But, based on my experience with subject, it's treating me like I am banned from the room. It is not a timeout like previously, it is instead a message that reads, "Connection lost. You have been kicked from the server.

I know that there are name specific rules to keep out non WoW players, maybe there is a problem there?

S!

Big_Fred
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Big_Fred »

I have created a 'clean' up3.0 and am still getting the same error; Similar to stonehalo's.
Commanding Officer
Adam and Eves

"War without fire is like sausage without mustard".
Henry V.

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

Guys, don't spend any more time on this until I get a chance to get home from work and take a look at the server. Just so that you know, the player list that Stone is referring to is NOT in effect. But, the server could be stuck for some reason. After all, I am in the process of testing. I'll get back to you in about an hour and a half.
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

BigO

Unread post by BigO »

Tiger wrote:S!~ Fred,

I have separate installations for GS and WOW. So, I don't have first hand experience. I was going from Raz's post here;

http://virtualaces.net/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 4&start=30

But, it may have something to do with the GS MODS themselves. I'm still using CRT=2 on the server.

Sorry to bust that bubble, but I have one install that currently lets me fly GS and Wow with no issues. I also have no issues flying any 4.10.1 or UP3 HL servers.

Chalk it up to Good Clean Living I supposed ;) :D
BigO

Big_Fred
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Big_Fred »

BigO wrote:
Chalk it up to Good Clean Living I supposed ;) :D
I was so tempted to edit this for you.
Commanding Officer
Adam and Eves

"War without fire is like sausage without mustard".
Henry V.

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

Tiger wrote:S!~ Fred,

I have separate installations for GS and WOW. So, I don't have first hand experience. I was going from Raz's post here;

http://virtualaces.net/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 4&start=30

But, it may have something to do with the GS MODS themselves. I'm still using CRT=2 on the server.

And I have not Installed GS Mods as Of yet, will need to run a test installation running w/GS Mods for this to confirm.
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

S!~ Gents,

The server was pooched. I suppose its just as well. I couldn't figure out how to derive a score from it anyway. I have the USL script and parser and vanilla 4.10.1 to go.
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

69th_Stonehalo

I flew a few sorties in 4.10.1. The fronts seemed to be working, but there were a few things that I noticed.

1.) The front markers were very inaccurate enemy forces were way inside the allied lines when I found them. While this isn't the worst problem in the world, I did find 2 trains in a town but didnt' shoot on them simply because I wasn't sure what side they were on.

2.) There was an allied group of +30 cars and tanks making circles in front of a bridge when there was nothing stopping them from crossing.

3.) This is a very small map and I noticed that the enemy colums use some of the roads located on the very edge, not to mention there are bases located there too. My point being, that for this map there should be a very specific and well defined rule about flying off the map. Personally, I don't believe that flying off the map a little should be punished, but there should be limits.

4.) The 2 second bomb drop parameter. Is there a way that we can disable that? The reason being, that no bomb during WW2 was operated in such a complicated and stupid way.

5.) While it's not a complete deal breaker, I'm very disappointed that I can't use the 6DOF. If there is someway that we could work that in, I would greatly appreciate it.

6.) I scored about 1350 points killing tanks and cars respectively, but I'm not seeing that reflected in my stats page. So it doesn't look like it's working quite right yet.

But other than that, I'm glad to see that there is some progress. S!

69th_Stonehalo

Also, as nice as having stationary aircraft posted on a given air field, they should not be placed in the positions reserved for human players to spawn. I was flying with Edge and he kept blowing up because a C-47 was parked in that position.

The same problem later happened with RedHawk. Although for some reason the only base avalible was the southern red base, so he was unable to spawn at all because of this problem.

Which brings up another point, how do we take back a base to that we can ultimately spawn form it? Last mission we would loose a base, but even after we recaptured it and we could land at it for points, we were never able to take off from it again.

And not that I'm against the idea of a little challenge, but the weather seems to be a constant blizzard. At least that's all that it has been today.

Oh, and if we are going to be using 4.10.1 you should probably take out the C-47s and alike as they can not be flown in cockpit.

As always, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm not trying to nitpick you Tiger, I'm hoping that this will simply help you out when you get out of work and can look to make changes.

S!

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

69th_Stonehalo wrote:I flew a few sorties in 4.10.1. The fronts seemed to be working, but there were a few things that I noticed.
Thanks for helping me test and providing feedback.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:1.) The front markers were very inaccurate enemy forces were way inside the allied lines when I found them. While this isn't the worst problem in the world, I did find 2 trains in a town but didnt' shoot on them simply because I wasn't sure what side they were on.
The one thing that everyone overlooks is that there are troops on the ground that you can't see, not just vehicles. That is why the lines appear to be inaccurate sometimes.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:2.) There was an allied group of +30 cars and tanks making circles in front of a bridge when there was nothing stopping them from crossing.
I believe you mean that there was nothing you could see stopping them. If they encountered enemy forces they will exhibit this type of behavior.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:3.) This is a very small map and I noticed that the enemy colums use some of the roads located on the very edge, not to mention there are bases located there too. My point being, that for this map there should be a very specific and well defined rule about flying off the map. Personally, I don't believe that flying off the map a little should be punished, but there should be limits.
Exactly how do you propose we enforce those limits?
69th_Stonehalo wrote:4.) The 2 second bomb drop parameter. Is there a way that we can disable that? The reason being, that no bomb during WW2 was operated in such a complicated and stupid way.
I have no idea how we would fix this problem. Remember, I am not a programmer.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:5.) While it's not a complete deal breaker, I'm very disappointed that I can't use the 6DOF. If there is someway that we could work that in, I would greatly appreciate it.
There is no way to enable 6DOF in 4.10.1 that I am aware of.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:6.) I scored about 1350 points killing tanks and cars respectively, but I'm not seeing that reflected in my stats page. So it doesn't look like it's working quite right yet.
You are correct. I'm not sure what the difference between 4.09 and 4.10.1 is, but I suspect that is the problem. I have never seen FB Daemon II exhibit this type of behavior before. It has worked with every version of IL-2 since 2004 as far as I know.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:Also, as nice as having stationary aircraft posted on a given air field, they should not be placed in the positions reserved for human players to spawn. I was flying with Edge and he kept blowing up because a C-47 was parked in that position.

The same problem later happened with RedHawk. Although for some reason the only base available was the southern red base, so he was unable to spawn at all because of this problem.
This is an easy fix. I just need to remove those aircraft from the master mission file, but this is the least of my concerns at the moment.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:Which brings up another point, how do we take back a base to that we can ultimately spawn form it? Last mission we would loose a base, but even after we recaptured it and we could land at it for points, we were never able to take off from it again.
Actually, IIRC, in the Berlin 1945 Redoux the Allies lost Frankfort and then gained it back again. Remember that if an airfield is contested you will not have the use of it until the area is cleared.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:And not that I'm against the idea of a little challenge, but the weather seems to be a constant blizzard. At least that's all that it has been today.
One of the best things about these campaigns is the dynamic weather. Who wants to fly at noon on a clear day all the time?
69th_Stonehalo wrote:Oh, and if we are going to be using 4.10.1 you should probably take out the C-47s and alike as they can not be flown in cockpit.
Agreed. This is another easy fix that is not a top priority right now.
69th_Stonehalo wrote:As always, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm not trying to nitpick you Tiger, I'm hoping that this will simply help you out when you get out of work and can look to make changes.
Don't worry about that. I need this type of feedback. And, in time you will find that I take constructive criticism very well. ;)
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer