Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Teen convicted of killing mother over video game

Unread post by Tiger »

ELYRIA, Ohio (AP) — A judge Monday rejected the defense that a teenage boy opened fire on his family because he was addicted to video games, convicting him of wounding his clergyman father and killing his mother after they fought over a game. Lawyers for Daniel Petric, 17, didn't contest that the boy shot his parents in October 2007, but insisted his youth and video game addiction made him less responsible.

Common Pleas Judge James Burge disagreed and pointed to evidence the boy plotted the crime for weeks.

Petric was convicted of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges. He faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.

Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game "Halo 3," in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.

During the trial, deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo described Petric as a cold, calculating killer who plotted to murder his parents, Mark and Susan Petric, and make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.

Defense Attorney James Kersey has said that Petric was obsessed with the "Halo" series of video games, which he played 18 hours a day when he had the chance. Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.

Mark Petric, who is a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

The father testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from a gunshot and he survived. His wife, Susan, 43, died of gunshot wound to the head.

Kersey said during the trial that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the "Halo 3" game.
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Re: Teen convicted of killing mother over video game

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

Geez, see what you learn from halo, how to kill. However what can you learn from flight simulators, history! :D
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

Not only that, but you can learn to fly. :D

My point in posting the story was simply to demonstrate that there is a difference between online gaming and reality, but for some the line between the two can become blurred.
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Warren
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Warren »

"Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."
LOLOLOL Sorry but that is a great line.
There went out another horse that was red
Power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

soo cute, but rather creepy, geez! I don't take kind to too many surprises myself, obviously you can see why, you never know.
Group Adjutant, =AVG=

Python
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Unread post by Python »

Salute

I have a surprise for you RAZ please keep them closed

Now open them
Salute
Python

In ancient times skilful warriors first made themselves invincible,
and then watched for vulnerability in their opponents." Sun-Tzu

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Un huh,......yep, thats right keep them down.... :P

Group Adjutant, =AVG=

k43_8mm
Captain
Captain

Unread post by k43_8mm »

~S~
well I posted a reply to this yesterday :? but it went somewhere in cyber space( Feds)
I bet Those parents watched probably a 50 inch HDTV about 10 hours or more a day and was more than happy haveing an excuse to get the boy off the tube.
At 17 years of age should be some Maturety there but of course there wasnt :roll:
I liked Halo 2 and played several hours a day just like I fly several hours a day,but at 17 I was working 12 hours a day ,7 days a week in the oil fields.
most of the time you didnt even eat when you got home just go to sleep and dream what you done all day , so you work all night also.
The point: you wont be killing no one but your self if you work hard, drink hard, and party hard! Sims or Halo is for old retired folks! we can take it!

Takesix
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Takesix »

I think everyone in New York city will tell you what can go wrong with corrupt people who use a general aviation flight sim. And we have all seen the video of the army tank guy loose in L.A., flattening the city. Just wait until some looney gets a hold of a P-51 and doesn't like getting caught in a hold pattern.

Trouble4u
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Trouble4u »

:shock:
Trouble4u