For public discussion of Wings~of~War events

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Wings~of~War: Midway 1942 Update

Unread post by Tiger »

A funny thing happend on the way to the Atoll...

So, we're out there killing each other in Wings~of~War: Midway 1942 and having a good ol' time, when suddenly, one of the Japanese destroyers runs into the Akagi during maneuvers and both are sunk. This issue means that the blue team now has 8 less places to spawn through no fault of their own. While I am trying to raise the carrier from Davey Jones' locker, the Red team goes for the power play, and sinks yet another carrier.

RCAF_FB_Bozo respectfully requested a rematch, and I'm inclined to honor his request. Had the collision not occurred there would have been 8 more pilots defending the Japanese fleet at the time the carrier was sunk.

We do try to test these campaigns before they go live, and they are usually running for practice just prior to the campaign. However, there are certain things that simply aren't known until the campaign has been launched.

Stand by for two weeks of Midway starting on Friday at Midnight Eastern. We'll restart the campaign this coming Friday. Then, we'll switch teams the following Friday night and do it all over again. Hopefully, we won't have another AI Japanese sleeping at the wheel.
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

RAF209_Benge

Re: Wings~of~War: Midway 1942 Update

Unread post by RAF209_Benge »

just a hunch but that was probably the destroyer i damaged with a fish...thus making it slower than the Carrier during course corrections and changes
Wing Commander C.K.Benge
Commanding Officer

209 Squadron
Royal Air Force

"Don't Rest On Your Laurels"

Colslaw
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Colslaw »

In which case it is/was a valid accident at sea.

Wonder if the ships do slow down when damaged
Lt. Colonel Colslaw
=AVG=

S.L.N
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by S.L.N »

Colslaw wrote:In which case it is/was a valid accident at sea.

Wonder if the ships do slow down when damaged
Im not sure
but if it started to list wouldnt that affect its course?
ve must fight vor the comfy couch

Trouble4u
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Trouble4u »

Probably that is the case. This map was tested pretty well, it was ran through several times and the ships never collided during testing so a damaged destroyer very well could be the cause.

Its pretty cool that it worked as it did. In real life when the Japanesse lost any chance for air superiority they retreated just as they did here :mrgreen: .
Trouble4u

RCAF_FB_Blood

Unread post by RCAF_FB_Blood »

Nope sorry on all accounts, the destroyer had never been hit. Fresh as mint out of the docks mates. It was simply to close to the carrior when they made the turn towards the end on the map. Nope nothin valid just a crazy A.I goin nuts on there is all. And for the ones thinking i was crying nope, damn sure wass't. Was simply leaving a message for Tiger is all. Guess next time when i want comments from the peanut gallery i will do the same. ~S~ Blood out

RAF_Macaw

Unread post by RAF_Macaw »

If the RCAF cant be trusted to steer their ships properly, why should they be given a chance to refly the mission.

For sure they now know the allied tactics to hardly trouble the Jap fleet so they have too many boats to manouevre at the turn, a tactic which worked perfectly.

Of course when it comes the RCAF's turn to attack the Jap fleet, they will have forgotten all that carefully collected data regarding fleets heading, speed, map reference, direction home reciprocals from Midway, so they undoubtedly wont be in any danger of sinking the wrong ship, that they can tactically leave untouched until the turn.

Rewrite the mission if you must, but rewrite it in a major way and have the RCAF spend the first few days searching for the fleet, for sure it will not take their close coordinated group long to work out where it is.

Afterall this is war, everything is allowed, including not targetting the correct ship. Of course if they cant accept that mishaps happen in war and they boohoo to the mission god, let them refly from the side with a disadvantage.

Ok if they must boohoo, then the peanut gallery can throw them tissues. :cry:

RAF209_Benge

Unread post by RAF209_Benge »

Blood,

After the attitude of the RCAF, about warfare during the North Africa it is hard to have any sympathy for the situation.

Remember...this is war? Well ships collide it happens... It happened in WW II a number of times. Ask any surviving member of PT 109...Ask a crew member of the U.S.S. Ward what happens when Destroyer and a Uboat bump uglies.

As to what happened with the carrier and the destroyer...I witnessed the same thing happen between a destroyer and a cruiser in the US fleet.
The destoyer made a 90 degree turn and crossed the bow of the cruiser...taking both to the bottom...

Now if we had reported that during the "war" what would have been your response? Oh well sucks to be you?

But that is now in the past and we get to have a "do over"
Wing Commander C.K.Benge
Commanding Officer

209 Squadron
Royal Air Force

"Don't Rest On Your Laurels"

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

I believe that everything happens for a reason. The reason that it was decided we would fly the event again seems to be because I was on the brink of discovery. We have "Refly" now, and we have R/R/R, because I found out the "Refly" thing wasn't a bug. It was a setting in the mds.dcg file. We can now fly the campaign the way it should be flown. Why do we need to look any further than that?

All is well that ends well I say. :mrgreen:
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

J9_Austin

Unread post by J9_Austin »