For public discussion of Wings~of~War events

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Buy War Bonds!

Unread post by Tiger »

It has always been our policy at =AVG= to refrain from soliciting donations, or requiring our pilots to pay any type of dues. We have been fortunate that a friend of mine has donated the bandwidth, and the computer, for us to use for the Wings~of~War server. The web site is less than $10 a month, and I am happy to maintain it.

That said, IL-2 has gotten more complex, such as the new versions of the DCG and Zuti that work together, giving us moving vehicles, and even AI planes for the next Wings~of~War campaign. The immersion factor is much greater than when we started doing this a couple of years ago. But, it comes at a price. As it stands, the old twin 900 Mgz processors in the "Pizza Box" are having trouble keeping up with more than about 20 pilots at one time. And, I assure you it's not the bandwidth. We have 6 Mbps available.

So, it has been decided that we will have a one-time fundraiser in order to buy a new rack server. What we will get will have to depend on the funds that we generate from donations. For example, if we achieve $1,000.00 then we'll get a Dell PowerEdge R10. If we get about $1,500.00 we'll get a PowerEdge 2970, and so on. There is a link for PayPal on the site on the main page. It allows you to select an amount to donate, and it is already set up to be transferred to my account. All the user has to do is log in to his PayPal account and click. The fundraiser will conclude at midnight eastern on 6 August 2010, and we hope to have the new server in place for Wings~of~War: North Africa 1943.

The members of the =AVG= and I would like to thank you for your consideration. Please feel free to post any questions you may have and I'll be happy to answer them.

Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Re: Buy War Bonds!

Unread post by Tiger »

Fundraiser total $280.00 USD on 21 July 2010 at 18:17 Eastern.
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Decker
Major
Major

Unread post by Decker »

I will make my donation on next tuesday. Sorry for the wait but unemployment only comes on every other tuesday.

Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to kill a fly with a sledgehammer.

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

Decker, that's no problem. I figure we'll run the fundraiser until the 6th of August and have the box in place for North Africa 1943.

S!~
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer

WPO_Jones

Unread post by WPO_Jones »

Donation made.

"Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespear

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

Doanation received. Thank you!
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer

Decker
Major
Major

Unread post by Decker »

Donation made. :mrgreen:

Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to kill a fly with a sledgehammer.

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

Your donation has been received as well, Decker. Thank you!
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer

american
Captain
Captain

Unread post by american »

So how are the donations coming?
Captain American
1st Pursuit Squadron, Adam & Eves

BigO

Unread post by BigO »

Donation Made.