Teen convicted of killing mother over video game

Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Wailwulf

Re: Teen convicted of killing mother over video game

Unread post by Wailwulf »

I think there is some correlation between video games and the ease of violence that has crept in to society's youth. Though the biggest responsibility is the parents and in a sense the parents of your child's friends parents (You won't let him play GTA, but Bobby's parents allow your child to play GTA when he over at Bobby's house). Now, it is not just because video games are violent.

My resoning goes back to what i saw on the history channel and the US Army. The US Army used to have round targets (roundels) for rifle practice. US troops were good shots. But when it came to shooting others, in battle it did not transfer over as well as the US Army wanted. The the US Army, instead of using round targets, started to use the silhouette targets, so what the troops were shooting at, looked like a human shape. There was an increase in results in battle from the troops so trained that way.

What the video games of FPS and GTA do is it helps a person get used to shooting a human like target which makes it that abit easier to do so in real life., especially if one does so thousands of times. The cerebellum, the part of the brain that is most primitive and where our our instinct and trained reflexes come from in emergency situations, needs to have something done about 10,000 times to become a reflexive habit (practice, practice, practice). In a video game such as GTA, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, one can easily shoot a human like target over ten thousand times (In GTA:SA, I have killed over five thousand gang members, though about a third of it is by running them over with a motorcycle). So the moment, when one has pulled the gun to shoot at a person, it is easier for them to actually pull the trigger without thinking.

Now do these video games make people violent, except for a minute few who are already on the edge, I would say no. But for those that for whatever reason are going to be violent (abusive parents/short circuit in the brain/combonation of both) it will help train them to make it easier to pull the gun and pull the trigger.

I have noticed for myself, after playing a lengthy stint of GTA, I need to think before I act when driving, for 55 mph on the actual highway seem so slow compared to flying down the streets of GTA:SA in a car or motorcycle. But my higher brain is smart enough to recognize this and therefore I don't do anything more stupid than I normally do when driving. :)

Trouble4u
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Trouble4u »

Yeah, My brain is weak. After just going to watch a demolition derby or figure 8 race just watch out if you see me on the road, don't get in my way! :o
Trouble4u

k43_8mm
Captain
Captain

Unread post by k43_8mm »

~S~
Hmmmmmm No! the game or event dosnt or never will affect me,affect me,affectme,affect me,affect me,affect me
truly is the fault of the parents in the above case for not raising a child to have the maturety of a 17 year old. I know the child didnt buy the xbox or Halo3 or the TV to play it on, If he layed down in the floor kicked,cried,screemed,untill it was bought then that would be a red flag.
my reasoning this case should be closed and the farther shot! and the worthless kid worked to earn his way to lern some responsabilty, millitary would be good! makeum or brakeum.

Space
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Space »

I dont think there is any doubt that it affects those that are pre-disposed to that behavior, and trains them to some extent. As evidence I refer you all to the schoolyard shooting of several years back. It seems that most or all of those shooters took 1 and only 1 shot at each of their victims, which is how a marksman shoots. 'Normal' human reaction is to shoot until your target quits moving, but that does not seem to the be the case in most of those instances.
Colonel SpaceGnome
Commanding Officer, =AVG=

Support you right to arm Bears.

The art of war is of vital importance to the State. --Sun Tzu