AVG Squad vs B.O.P. Squad ?

Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Re: AVG Squad vs B.O.P. Squad ?

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

SNA2007 wrote:Carrier landings? AHAHAHAHA, oh my oh my. I guess I better sit this one out :D. Go NAVY! Tailhook all the way!

LoL :lol: , thats right, SNA will rule the competition when it comes to carrier landings.

I'm having trouble landing a F/A-18C on the carrier in this game Image, I always over shoot, or going too fast, they say in the game that the carrier landing target speed is 134 Knots, is that true?
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

k43_8mm
Captain
Captain

Unread post by k43_8mm »

~S~
yeah they got it fast now days! that mig killer(corsair I think) Nam era came in over a 100, no flaps the wing just raised and lowered.

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

Razgriz_37 wrote:
SNA2007 wrote:Carrier landings? AHAHAHAHA, oh my oh my. I guess I better sit this one out :D. Go NAVY! Tailhook all the way!

LoL :lol: , thats right, SNA will rule the competition when it comes to carrier landings.

I'm having trouble landing a F/A-18C on the carrier in this game Image, I always over shoot, or going too fast, they say in the game that the carrier landing target speed is 134 Knots, is that true?

Carrier landings are accomplished at "On Speed" using your AOA indicator. You want to fly so you constantly have an amber donut in that little box next to your hud. The velocity vector can help you. Just put it on the aft end of the carrier where the wires are, keep the aircraft on speed, watch the ball, and you should be money. If you were to watch a real carrier approach, the throttle is never still, but AOA is constant. It requires many subtle power changes. Now on speed varies on aircraft weight since AOA is a function between the chord line and the relative wind. This means, weight for a given aircraft will affect lift which will affect your AOA, which effects speed. For the hornet, typically your approach speeds are between 130-140, the average speed being about 135. Three wire, OK grade is what you want. Break altitdue is 800, pattern at ship is 600. Abeam the fantail, hook down, gear checked down, flaps down, being your turn, trim onspeed as turning at 1mile from the ship. Rolling onto final you 3/4 mile, call the ball. Power, power, power. Power on, off, on, off. Real subtle. Once again, use your velocity vector to help.
Major SNA2007
Squadron Training Officer
1st Pursuit Squadron, =AVG=

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

Before loggin on I was practicing on the game, lining up the speed vector with the wires, first try was a wire 1, next couple of tries bolter both, 4th try another wire 1, hmm. I would be on the right path at the right altitude, maybe its the pitch, I'm pitched at 5 degrees, its nice steady, I give it power when the speed vetor falls, I might give to much, whice what probably cause me to bolter, lol I was at 9% fuel on the last attempt. :oops: But IL2 is different, mainly because I'm using a controller on that game and IL2 uses a joystick.
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

Grim_35

Unread post by Grim_35 »

sry for shooting your pilot Redhawk didnt think it was a big deal and i had the perfect shoot didnt mean disrespect

american
Captain
Captain

Unread post by american »

I think real carrier landing's are scary aren't they. Just think about it ur landing a plane on a boat. Floating airports aren't suppost to exist!..... I got a quick question I never flew a accurate ebought sim to know but wheb ur on approach with a carrier that has the run way that's a. Angle that is moving. Are u suppost to line up with the carrier and use rudder or ailerons to keep adjusting or do u shoot for where the carrier will be in by the time u get there?
Captain American
1st Pursuit Squadron, Adam & Eves

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

You line up with the part painted like a runway. It requires a series of constant wingdips to stay on centerline.
Major SNA2007

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

Raz, your pitch is too shallow, should be about 10-15.
Major SNA2007

k43_8mm
Captain
Captain

Unread post by k43_8mm »

AOA indicater!? i will look for one! I know basicly you just cram it on deck and hope for a hook but throtle full in case it dont :o

Trouble4u
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Trouble4u »

I don't worry about landing on the deck, Theres a compartment on the side of the plane that contains a raft.
Trouble4u