For public discussion of Wings~of~War events

Moderators: Tiger, Space

SNA2007
Major
Major

Re: Red Air bases

Unread post by SNA2007 »

{FKR}sleeve wrote:FKR checking in..

FKR was unable to get off the deck after the second or third day of the campaign. Everytime we spawned in there was RCAF waiting to strafe the field. Most of us gave up after a while because it became pointless or too hard to get off the ground. This honestly drove me, and possibly a few others, away.

I know that things didn't go as planned, but with a second airstrip, RCAF wouldn't have known instantly where to fly towards to find us.

This fact was well known and our CO is well aware. I know this because I bitched to him about it constantly. In future campaigns, there will be an equal number of airbases, if we get one, then they will have one. I think the DCG will still allow base capture up to one in which case they can utilize the base if they manage to push forces out of there. We were also toying with the idea of stronger AAA defenses around key airbases.
Major SNA2007
Squadron Training Officer
1st Pursuit Squadron, =AVG=

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot

{FKR}sleeve

Unread post by {FKR}sleeve »

I think that with 1 airfield the stronger AAA is a must. Especially as demonstrated by RCAF's superior capping ability.

Thanks AVG for hosting again and keep us in the loop when the next mission is planned.

Trouble4u
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Trouble4u »

S! All,

I had a blast playing with you all! I really enjoyed this "almost real" set up. The icons on are great for my tired old eyes. I had the best fight with 2 of the RCAF that I've ever had in all my time playing IL2. I can't remember the names, I think 1 was ChuChu? not sure of the spelling. Anyhow 1 was in a 190 and the other in a 109. I had the Alt in a Spit IXe. I was shaking the whole time, 1 wrong move an I would have been dead. To me it was an epic battle! I can't thank you guys enough for the fun! S! RCAF
Trouble4u

sturmbahnfuhrer

Unread post by sturmbahnfuhrer »

I think the plane sets were good as a whole on paper but only on paper. We never got the JU-87's, either TA, the A-9, D-9, K-4 or the 109G-2(which would have been the only 109 that can match up against the spits at low-medium altitude). The 109's are not B&Z planes and the ones we had could not compete in a turn fight with a spit which is why most of us flew the 190. We were counting on a head on against the big guns rather than the turn fight. We all know that the 25lb Spit can outclimb and outturn any plane we had. The P-51 is one of the best B&Z fighter in the game and is impossible to catch when it has E and it can outturn the 190 at altitudes. The P-38, P-47, Mosquito and the Tempest are unmatched as ground attack planes and we didn't have one ground attack plane on the Axis side. Even the wing cannons and gun pods on the 190 couldn't take out the sherman tanks. The A-20 and the B-25 have a much better loadout than the 111's and the 88's not to mentions faster with better defenses. I am thanking God that you guys didn't get B-17's and B-24's. The 262's only spawned at the furthest southern base and it took a while to get to the target area's. For this campaign the 262 was not worth the time but was fun to fly. The only reason the line was kept back was because we had more pilots in the air and we always went after the mission objective. I still say the allies had the better planes and if you had more pilots in the air the fight would have been very different.

Python
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Unread post by Python »

Salute

I had alot of fun died alot but overall was fun I am new to IL2 only been flying it less than 8 months still cannot hit the side of a barn door with those guns but still had fun trying to out manyver you guys. You guys flew a great battle you really made me work to figure out how to attack your AO I look forward to flying against you all again
Salute
Python

In ancient times skilful warriors first made themselves invincible,
and then watched for vulnerability in their opponents." Sun-Tzu

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

Well, I disagree, but the only way to know is to switch sides. Maybe that should be the thing we do while we wait for the new map to be created. What do you guys think? Re-match with sides switched?
Major SNA2007
Squadron Training Officer
1st Pursuit Squadron, =AVG=

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot

RCAF_FB_BigCat

Unread post by RCAF_FB_BigCat »

~S~ All and THANKS for the week long of fun. As far as switching sides ,I would love to take on the challenge and I'm sure the rest of the RCAF guys would also. Thanks again and great flying with you guys.

Colslaw
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Colslaw »

After flying with these setting I almost want to stay out of SoV so as to not get rusty in closed pits.

I would love to play this map with sides reversed - especially as both sides now know what is needed to survive, and to see if Red can win knowing what the Blues need to do to keep them down.
Lt. Colonel Colslaw
=AVG=

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

S! All,

If you guys want to run it again and switch sides I can certainly arrange it. Now, for my take on the campaign; first, I'd like to apologize as I am still learning how to use the Dynamic Campaign Generator, and how to make a good campaign with it. For those of you who were frustrated because you couldn't get in the air, I am truly sorry about that. I also had trouble getting in to the air on many occasions, which was quite frustrating at times. There are two reasons for this. The first is that I only allowed the Allies one base to start with. My hope was that the Allies would capture Caen and use it. In fact, this nearly happened. By Tuesday night the Allies had pushed the front lines right to the Caen airfield, but the Axis team flew sortie after sortie, bombing the Allied armor and vehicles on the beach, and all of the Allied ships. Once they had accomplished this, it was only a matter of bombing the armor and vehicles on the British Isle, and they were able to push the line back almost to the Allied airfield. This brings me to the second reason; the Axis team had far more pilots participating. The RCAF came out in force, and I think this is a wonderful thing, even if it did add to the frustration because we were usually outnumbered.

All in all, I enjoyed it very much. And, I learned quite a bit. The rule set could use some minor tweaking, and I need to be sure that the next campaign starts off with balanced airfields instead of counting on one team or the other to capture an airfield, or airfields, in order to balance things. One thing that I do need to study is why some of the aircraft never became available, but I'll sort that out very soon.

In addition, my team learned to work together under extremely adverse conditions just to have a chance at getting in to the air and gaining the upper hand. And, even then we were normally outnumbered. We learned to maintain a higher level of situational awareness in these extreme conditions that will serve us well in future engagements. Communications needed to be clear and concise so that we could receive multiple sitreps and respond accordingly. We came a very long way in these aspects in a very short period of time. So, in that respect, it was a great training excersize.

And finally, there was a very interesting thing that occured during the fight when the Axis team received the Me-262 quite unexpectedly. When the first Allied pilots saw the Me-262 in the air, you should have heard the voice comms. It was very similar to what I imagine would have occured in real life when the first Allied pilots saw the Me-262; "What the hell was that?" came the transmission, and then the response "It's a jet!" Of course, right after that I was brought right back to reality when the guys started asking how the Axis team got them, but for a moment I could imagine being on the radio when the Allies first encountered the Me-262. And, then there was the fact that we dispatched several P-51's to loiter high over St. Paul and attack the jets as they took off or landed. For me, this was one of the most exciting aspects of the campaign, as I believe I downed 3 of them in this manner.

In summary, I believe that the campaign was a success overall, but not without it's flaws. Again, I apologize to those who were frustrated, and I will be sure to remember this lesson as I develop future campaigns.
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

RCAF_FB_Vike

Unread post by RCAF_FB_Vike »

~S~ AVG ~S~ Tiger, please don't feel bad about this. I personally had fun during the campaign. It was my first foray into full pit flying. I did not participate in the Manchuria campaign because I just didn't want to learn new tricks or run out and buy TrackIr. I was dragged kicking and screaming into this one. Probably the biggest reason I did fly in Normandy was that the FW A8 was available. Now if you have ever looked at the full pit view from an FW you'll see right away that in this sim it's not easy to see where you are going or even where you have been. :evil: That was a challenge. I normally fly an A9 in our server so I had some experience with the FW's many qwerks. Anyhow I ended up having fun and managed to shoot down some planes and ground swatted some too. I found out it wasn't quite as hard as I thought it would be to fly the FW full pit without TrackIr. (I'm still not going to run out and buy it.....lol) :P

Thankyou Tiger for all the time you invested for our enjoyment. Maybe next time around the AVG and the RCAF can be on the same side for a change.

~S~ Vike