Red Air bases

For public discussion of Wings~of~War events

Moderators: Tiger, Space

sturmbahnfuhrer

Re: Red Air bases

Unread post by sturmbahnfuhrer »

Tiger wrote:S!~ Under,

Thank you for your post, and we're glad that you and your teammates enjoyed the campaign. You and your squadron will most definitely be invited to the next one. Please do not read any emotion in to Jolly's post, either. He posted the images tongue in cheek. And, if the truth were told, we probably lost as many aircraft just trying to take off as we did while under attack. Sure, there were times when it was frustrating, but I explained to our group that it was absolutely no fault of yours. If there is any blame, it rests completely on my shoulders as I created the campaign.

Besides, it looked as though we were going to push you guys south of Caen on Tuesday night, but as I indicated earlier, you guys just pushed back and kept on pushing. The participation of the RCAF was unmatched by any other squadron flying the campaign. And, if we would have had equivelent numbers, I'm sure that it would have been a lot closer. That is, assuming that when I get to the final tally here in a day or two, you guys came out on top. Wouldn't we all be surprised if, in the final tally, the red team actually won the campaign?
Right on, and I do apologize for assuming the worst on Jollys post. ~S~ Jolly and I am sorry. You are right about that for sure, it would have been a lot closer if we had equal numbers, in fact you would probably have won with the superior aircraft. I think the biggest part of the campaign is that we figured out the objective and it never really changed throughout the whole fight. It was just a matter of having enough players on to accomplish it. Very hard to read the objectives because for us it was not in English, we just looked at the coordinates and flew there. Great job and you made an excellent map. Keep up the excellent work.

~S~

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

RCAF_FB_Under wrote: You are right about that for sure, it would have been a lot closer if we had equal numbers, in fact you would probably have won with the superior aircraft.
I believe that you meant to say superior skill. ;)
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

~S~

Same here Under, some of us like me, had flown with the mod on and of course it had the russian laguage for the description, those laguage mod fixes doesn't seem to work for online campaigns.
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

Jolly
Major
Major

Unread post by Jolly »

RCAF_FB_Under wrote:words....
As tiger said, totally tounge in cheek. It was frustrating, yes, but I put on my big boy britches and slaughtered when I got in the air, when I could.

Those screen shots were a feeble attempt at propaganda on my part, and in no way were my "feelings hurt" by having our base CAP'd.

S!
Major Jolly
2nd Pursuit Squadron, =AVG=

RCAF_FB_Badbet

Unread post by RCAF_FB_Badbet »

I believe that you meant to say superior skill.
Ahem, yes of course that is what he meant :)

AS to the language fix I was sure that it worked for our online co-ops, will have to check tho.

Now to the campaign. Well played by all and congrats to both sides. I am sure it must have been extremely frustrating for the red side with only the one base. I know it would have been for me. An extremely big THANK YOU to the AVG for hosting another well run round.

Learned alot as this was my, and I think I can speak for most of the RCAF_FB, first online campaign flying with these settings. Judging by the comments, enthusiasm and response from the RCAF we are ready and rearing to go for the next one.

I would like to suggest the Italy 43 campaign for the next round. Planeset is somewhat similar but there are plenty of bases and the opportunity for some ship action.

Again, a big thank you to Tiger, Warren and the rest of the AVG for hosting this event.

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

RCAF_FB_Under wrote: Right on, and I do apologize for assuming the worst on Jollys post. ~S~ Jolly and I am sorry. You are right about that for sure, it would have been a lot closer if we had equal numbers, in fact you would probably have won with the superior aircraft.
~S~

S~

Well I wouldn't say we had superior aircraft. Both planesets had good aircraft, the trick was knowing how to exploit the advantages. It is fair to say that the Allies did have aircraft to match all altitudes though. The P47 and P51 are unrivaled boom and zooming aircraft and at altitude, the Me262 and Ta-152s are the only aircraft that can challenge them up there. Unless you are used to high altitude dogfighting, you were at an extreme disadvantage. A lot of pilots on our squad are used to high altitude operations and precise trim control is required for efficient energy management. The Spitfire is a very forgiving aircraft that retains its energy very well. Typically we kept the Spits at medium to low altitude where the thicker air enabled the elipitical wing to really work its magic while using the faster and sleeker P47s and P51s up high to drive high aircraft down. I noticed that some of your FW190 pilots came in at medium to high altitude, typically co-alt or higher than me. This is the way a FW190 wants to begin the engagement. The problem was, our Spit pilots were able to reverse because you would over commit in the first pass. The FW190 is more a boom and zoomer than a turn fighter and towards the end phase of the game, your pilots were exhibiting they had learned this fact. Hard breaks are not the way to defeat the Spitfire, instead it requires a considerable amount of patience. I think most of you are Spit pilots so you will know what I mean that the plane becomes very slugish in roll characteristics at high speed. The FW-190 however, excells in high speed. The way to throw off a pursuing Spit is a series of barrell rolls at high speed on the verge of blackout. The spit cannot match the roll and by the second turn, hes thrown to the outside of the turn and then you can zoom up. If the Spit tries to pursue, he will black out. This however requires altitude and in the beginning your pilots sacrificed it quickly. Your jets were shot down because of energy bleed, meaning you performed maneuvers that depleted the jets of energy. Jets require a long time to accelerate and lose a considerable amount in sharp turns. If the jets were flown in slicing passes, they were impossible to catch, if they got into the furball and started turning, a high Spit or P51 could get enough speed to take shots which usually resulted in a flamed engine.

In short, the Axis aircraft were ideally suited for medium to high altitude fighting or at least to being there. They lacked the speed or acceleration the P51 or Spitfire could achieve at lower levels. But I am not putting you guys down, by the end of the campaign you had good teamwork, rythm, and air supremacy. Your pilots became harder and harder to kill even in the Spits. What saved me a few times was I think you guys were taking minimum fuel. While this improves your manevuerability, it degrades your TOT (Time Over Target) and many of you had to bug out in long engagements. I look foward to our next tangle in the virtual skies.
Major SNA2007
Squadron Training Officer
1st Pursuit Squadron, =AVG=

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot

Rebiv4

Unread post by Rebiv4 »

The aircraft lineup was near perfect. There were just enough choices to make it balanced. Personally, I was really really looking forward to flying blue and I didn't play as much as I could because I just hate the allied aircraft. I hope we get a chance to play German in the future, but this campaign was still pretty fun. Tiger and Warren did a great job organizing and creating, and now they have that much more experience to add to the next campaign, and thats all that matters in the end!

~S~!

{FKR}sleeve

Unread post by {FKR}sleeve »

FKR checking in..

FKR was unable to get off the deck after the second or third day of the campaign. Everytime we spawned in there was RCAF waiting to strafe the field. Most of us gave up after a while because it became pointless or too hard to get off the ground. This honestly drove me, and possibly a few others, away.

I know that things didn't go as planned, but with a second airstrip, RCAF wouldn't have known instantly where to fly towards to find us.

Colslaw
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Colslaw »

The counter we found to their capping the drome was to wait until we had numbers and spawn enmass. A few would be shot down but the majority could get away. This didn't always work as on one run all ten of us were downed within a few minutes, but on the whole it worked if we could time it to once they had passed over and spawn in and just run straight.

The fights on the last day were very fun as we managed to get airborne in numbers and wait for the oncoming blues.

The aircraft to me were very evenly matched due to the cannon in the 109 and 190 blowing our wings off in headon passes. SOmetimes we were able to get out of the line of fire, but not always and the first indication that the wing was gone was that uncontrolled spin - follwed by a glance to reveal empty air on one side.

On the whole I would say the entire campaign was a success for those who got into the air, and I am truly sorry for those who didn't. When we were capping Caen or Le Havre dromes it was always a moment to laugh when a blue spawned below and managed to exit just before we could fire.
Lt. Colonel Colslaw
=AVG=

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

A B-25 with a 3-5 second delay and a quick refly went a long way to bring down buzzing aircraft :D
Major SNA2007
Squadron Training Officer
1st Pursuit Squadron, =AVG=

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot