Finding ground targets! Help please

For public discussion of Wings~of~War events

Moderators: Tiger, Space

barndoor

Finding ground targets! Help please

Unread post by barndoor »

Hi all,
I am new to the Wings of War server. I like the settings, scenario, and lack of rules! :)
I took my first couple of flights out on the Manchuria map you have running. I took an Il-2 out to find some ground targets and used the "recon grd" command to take me to Ussuriysk.

I think the brief also said something about forces retreating from there. So, the recon grd suggested that there were friendly and enemy within a grid of each other. I knew I was to be careful what I shot at.
After getting over this city I quickly spotted a Japanese tank (top hat shaped turret- easy to identify) in the most Northern part of the industrial area. I took it out and began patrolling for more. After some flying about I noticed a small column of vehicles on the road South out of the town. This is about 5km South of the first Blue tank I took out. I took the lot out with the canons on the Il-2 in one pass to find I had ripped up friendly trucks. Oh no!

I had presumed that as I had already encountered enemy way North of here they would be Blue. So sorry boys..

So, how do I find where the enemy are? There's not much in the brief and if I use recon ground it just gives me one grid which actually also has friendly in it. Sorry for the noob question. Perhaps there's something obvious I missed?

Later I took out a P-39 and cruised way South looking for a fight / ground targets. Apart from a lot of flak I found nothing. I ended up back near Ussuriysk and scoured it before landing further North.
Can anybody give me a tip on finding ground targets? Or should I just be searching and identifying be just putting in time patrolling?
Thanks!

Jay

YOKE
Major
Major

Re: Finding ground targets! Help please

Unread post by YOKE »

Cant answer about finding enemy ground targets but my experience in targets is shown in my score...
First set of friendlies I killed was all the way down south of Pristan , the airfield guns were shooting at me as I flew past so with only actually seeing the tracers coming from behind, I turned and shot out the friendly column thinking they were doing the shooting

ooops.

Then just a few minutes or so ago.... I pass Vozdviz... airfield and see ground fire shooting south into town of Usssuri....
I fly over the northern tank and lay waste to the friendly in the town
oh I did go back and shoot the correct enemy but its a bit late by then.

So I know the ...what the hay ? when the northern are the enemy and the southern are the good guys.

ahh well , I have a good score in points for the axis team anyway
"Shut Up And Die Like An Aviator"