Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Python
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Video some say is fake

Unread post by Python »

Salute

If you seen the video of the plane landing with one wing here is the pilots website talking about it

http://www.jamesandersson.com/video01.html
Salute
Python

In ancient times skilful warriors first made themselves invincible,
and then watched for vulnerability in their opponents." Sun-Tzu

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Re: Video some say is fake

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

I actually saw something similar to his story, a F-15C landing with the starboard wing missing, but there was footage on it and he touched down safe and sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/-_EXtBEaBbs[/youtube]
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

Voss

Unread post by Voss »

So fake its stupid lol!

For real I mean.......CGI at its best! oh and Im not referin to the F-15.......

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

Voss is right. Its a fake. There has only been one aircraft in history that had a greater thrust to weight ratio than 1:1 which is what would be required to overcome a loss of lift of that magnitude. F15 has it, aerobatic propeller plane, no.
Major SNA2007
Squadron Training Officer
1st Pursuit Squadron, =AVG=

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

I didn't know F-15's had tail hooks, I remeber seeing them on F-5's, but soon learned that the NAVY was using them, however I never seen an F-5 land on a carrier, so the questiong is what was the purpose of the tail hook on F-5's?
Group Adjutant, =AVG=

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

To amend my statment, only one propeller driven aircraft in history to have greater than 1:1 ratio for thrust to weight. There have been several fighters throughout history where the defense department has tried to make a true joint stirke fighter. There was the F4 which both the airforce and Navy used. Two other aircraft had naval variants made as a demonstrators, but proved unsuitable for carrier operations. I was unaware the F5 was one of these variants, but early models would of had the tailhook IF the Navy was evaluating it for shipboard use. The F-16 was also under evaluation, but was determined the landing gear was much too weak to take the stress of repeated carrier landings. As such, you may see F-16A models with tailhooks.
Major SNA2007

10% of military aviation is knowing what to do, how to do it, and how to do it while flying. 90% is all about learning how to look cool.

A smoking hole in the ground is a small price to pay for a bitchin' maneuver. -Maj Otero, USMC C-130 Pilot

SNA2007
Major
Major

Unread post by SNA2007 »

Further study revealed to me the Air Force uses tailhooks as well strictly as a means of arresting aircraft with failed braking systems or anytime they want to stop the aircraft in a hurry. This is why the F5 has it. F22s, F15s, F16s, F4s, F104s, and F5s have been fitted with tailhooks as well, but not for use aboard a carrier (except the F4 naval version).

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0295.shtml
Major SNA2007

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Lol, I remember seeing a tail hook on the F-5E in AC4. Hey, what ever happend to the traditional drouge shute?
Group Adjutant, =AVG=

Colslaw
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Colslaw »

With a tailhook and arresting wires you are pretty well assured where the aircraft will stop. WIth a drogue chute, it will take awhile to stop and you may still run out of runway.
Lt. Colonel Colslaw
=AVG=

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Lol, stuff I seen in AC4, the SU-37's had drogue shutes, and in LOMAC, the F-15's had them, that must mean that russians like those drogue shutes, and were better with our arrestor cables on runways.
Group Adjutant, =AVG=