Request: New build ideas

Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

LE~Chouffleur

Request: New build ideas

Unread post by LE~Chouffleur »

I'm going to be replacing my existing 5-year old PC with a new one. As I'm considering re-entering the WWI flight sim world I need to spec out the new machine.

I assume that the main candidates in the current crop of WWI sims would be RoF, IL-2, OFF, and possibly RB4 (given my time frame).

Question 1: Are there other sims I should consider?

Question 2: Has anyone bothered to spec out a recommended configuration that would cover *all* of these games? Or is IL-2, for example, so demanding that their recommended config would cover anything else?

I have a better-than-decent broadband connection and would like to see 50-60 FPS with middle-of-the-road-to-slightly-above-that graphics settings.

I probably won't choose the "best" game so I don't need to know that Game A rules and Game B sucks because I'll want to fly with people from my old squad and can be happy in any yellow Spad XIII with an Indian head on the side.

I understand that everything is relative to budget so try this as a thought experiment: imagine the cheapest new PC that would satisfy you for running the most demanding flight sim, take that cost and bump it up in $200 increments twice, pick the middle price (base + 200) and tell me what it looks like (and costs), then tell me what the extra $200 on top of that would buy me.

I'm not an overclocker or a watercooler. I just want something that I can plug in and run.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on the subject.

Chouf
I fly close to my man, aim well and then of course he falls down.

Captain Oswald Boelcke

Warren
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Re: Request: New build ideas

Unread post by Warren »

Salute LE!!

Yoke is your guy to ask.

I bought this to run RoF but never got around to it.

I'll stab at it and say you'll need a quad dual processor. ;)
There went out another horse that was red
Power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth

LE~Chouffleur

S! Warren:
Warren wrote: I'll stab at it and say you'll need a quad dual processor. ;)
Nah, then I'd just whine about the lag. ;-)

Captain Oswald Boelcke

Zombie
Major
Major

Unread post by Zombie »

I just built a new one, maximus extremeV mainboard, 2 evga gtx 760 sli graphics cards, an INWIN eatx case, allready had the 17 proccesor and the 16gb of ram, i can play any game maxed out on settings.
When in doubt, kill em' for the meat.

LE~Chouffleur

Zombie wrote:I just built a new one, maximus extremeV mainboard, 2 evga gtx 760 sli graphics cards, an INWIN eatx case, allready had the 17 proccesor and the 16gb of ram, i can play any game maxed out on settings.
Hard to vacuum around a PC that's bolted to the floor but it sounds like you can run Angry Birds at full tilt. ;-)

Captain Oswald Boelcke