Kurt Caselli

Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

S.L.N
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Kurt Caselli

Unread post by S.L.N »

At this years Baja 1000 we lost someone very dear to the racing community. Kurt Caselli (age 30) was killed while leading the motorcycle division approx 80 miles from the finish. Exact causes of the crash are unknown at this time, early reports of a man made obstacle (the locals like to set out trap to make the racers wreck, half buried refrigerators,pipes, tire piles, the like) have been discredited. Animal blood and fur was found on the bike but no animal or any other blood at the scene so its possible he hit something small before he wrecked.
I wasn't a personal everyday contact of Kurt but I had met him at several different events, he was always smiling and very down to earth, and despite the fact that he had more skill in his throttle hand than most others have in their entire being he never flaunted it. He had gotten engaged a couple months back and had signed a contract to race the Dakar rally. :(

Kurt, part of the Factory FMF/Bonanza Plumbing/KTM team competing in this desert race, was in a leading position when he suffered a crash that resulted in severe head trauma. He died of his injuries in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

The team, who have now recovered Kurt's bike discovered traces on the machine that indicate he had collided with some small animal, which apparently caused the crash.
Kurt, 30, was an accomplished American offroad and desert rider but he had also made a successful transition to international rallies for the KTM Factory Team. He was admired and respected in racing circles for his skill, natural talent and exemplary sportsmanship far beyond the borders of his home country. While Kurt was one of the most popular figures on the KTM team, he was also an unmatched role model for young riders and fans.
Passionate about his sport, he had multiple consecutive championships in WORCS and National Hare and Hound racing and had been the lead rider for the USA International Six Days Enduro team for the past ten years. In January 2013, Kurt was drafted into the official KTM Rally team to ride in the Dakar Rally, replacing his friend and factory teammate Marc Coma, who was injured. Kurt’s debut ride in the 2013 Dakar Rally was impressive. He was subsequently given a permanent spot on the KTM Rally team and was preparing to contest the Dakar 2014 and the FIM World Cross Country Rallies Championship in the coming season.
Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsports: “Today we lost a KTM hero in the worst possible circumstances. We are shocked and saddened by this tragic news and our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Kurt’s family. Kurt was much more than a very talented rider; he was also an exceptional team player. He represented and lived by the values and a passion for racing that lies at the very core of KTM. Our sport has lost more than a great rider; we have also lost an excellent ambassador for offroad racing.”
Jon-Erik Burleson, President of KTM North America: ”We at KTM can't put into context the loss everyone in the motorcycling community is experiencing. Beyond his racing successes and talent as a rider, Kurt was above all else a core member of our greater off-road family that simply can't be replaced. Kurt inspired the KTM family to keep pushing the limits of racing. He was the driving force behind our renewed efforts in Baja, Hare & Hound and the International Six Days Enduro. His work ethic, attitude and graciousness will never be matched.”
Antti Kallonen, Factory FMF/KTM Team Manager: “The loss of Kurt is immense to the sport, our team and to our family. Kurt has been on KTM his entire professional career. Even in the early years he brought something special to the off-road environment by bringing a leadership role like no other. He had the uncanny ability to bring a team together for efforts big and small. Professional motorcycle racing is always considered an individual sport, but Kurt made it a team sport. Whenever there was an opportunity to lead, help, inspire, advise or coach Kurt went into it like he went into a race—completely prepared, completely confident and knowing he could win. Kurt was the most galvanizing force I’ve ever seen. Those who knew him were lucky. Those of us who got to work with him were blessed”.
Kurt Caselli will be deeply missed by the entire KTM family, his teammates, his fellow competitors and by his fans all over the world. At this time of acute sadness, the KTM management and the entire KTM international family extend their heartfelt condolences to the Caselli family.
http://vurboffroad.com/blogs/rip-kurt-c ... ment/2450/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAK9HHZzRc
ve must fight vor the comfy couch

Zombie
Major
Major

Re: Kurt Caselli

Unread post by Zombie »

The locals are notorious for setting crash traps, they hide and hope the vehicles crash and lose parts, then they collect the broken parts. Why? Dunno
Sorry about your friend....
When in doubt, kill em' for the meat.

S.L.N
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by S.L.N »

I'm back from Mexico (I pitted for a friends team) and I'm off to cali december 6th for Kurt's memorial ride

Space
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Space »

Sounds like a heck of a guy; very sorry for the loss of your comrade.
Colonel SpaceGnome
Commanding Officer, =AVG=

Support you right to arm Bears.

The art of war is of vital importance to the State. --Sun Tzu

S.L.N
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by S.L.N »

Space wrote:Sounds like a heck of a guy; very sorry for the loss of your comrade.
Space, I've lost more people in my short life than I care to remember, the best way to get through it is to celebrate the good that was that person rather than focus on the loss.

Just a little video I found, might give you some sort of an idea of just how talented Kurt was.
The best part about him? Well, the first time I met him was at a local MX race, nobody else on the national level was there, Kurt was 2nd off the start and spent the whole race on the tale of another rider, a couple corners from the finish the guy leading the race crashed in a muddy corner, Kurt stopped, lifted the bike off the kids leg, and let him win the race telling him he had earned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9oBmTMvPf0

Space
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Space »

S.L.N wrote:Space, I've lost more people in my short life than I care to remember, the best way to get through it is to celebrate the good that was that person rather than focus on the loss.
That is always the best way, IMO. Far too many celebrate the pain, which does no one any good.
Colonel SpaceGnome
Commanding Officer, =AVG=

Support you right to arm Bears.

The art of war is of vital importance to the State. --Sun Tzu