F35

Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Redhornet

F35

Unread post by Redhornet »

Listen very closely to what the pilot says at 2:02. "...possibly the last manned fighter..." More than possibly in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10648250
The Uber Target

Trouble4u
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Re: F35

Unread post by Trouble4u »

Very Cool!
Trouble4u

Pirates_Smile

Unread post by Pirates_Smile »

The Taranis...
Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson.

Decker
Major
Major

Unread post by Decker »

Very cool. But also spooky to know that we have advanced so far that we do not need pilots to atually fly in the planes any more.

Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to kill a fly with a sledgehammer.

Pirates_Smile

Unread post by Pirates_Smile »

Decker wrote:Very cool. But also spooky to know that we have advanced so far that we do not need pilots to atually fly in the planes any more.
Not really...if you consider all the negatives of human-involved flight :

# Pilot Error 53%
# Mechanical Failure 21%
# Weather 11%
# Other Human Error (eg lack of communication, improper maintenance etc) 8%
# Sabotage and Terrorism 6%
# Other Causes 1%

...not to mention the money saved on things like Pilot training and wasted resources which are limited, wear and tear ( PLE - Prudent Limit of Endurance) of said aircraft. Time. People. The biological barrier on pilots of the future, G-forces (unmanned craft can do 20-30 g's) and pure speed (Mach 7 is right around the corner). They never get tired, have to take a piss or have things like emotions or moral dilemmas get involved with their job.

When I was out at Edwards AFB awhile ago, I was given a sweet *behind-the-scenes* tour of the operation of the Predator. I was floored by it. Think of having the worlds best flight simulator with ALL the best equipment and peripherals in your living room....that's what it reminded me of as did the guys who were flying and training on it...they reminded me of guys like the AVG.

Sad to think that the romantic scene of a man in full flight gear climbing down and out of a battered warplane twisted on the runway while the sun disappears behind him is soon to be a thing of the past.

But you can't argue against the numbers of success.

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson.

Redhornet

Unread post by Redhornet »

Everything Pirate said and then some. Also consider this, the pilot of a remotely operated fighter can take more risks, his/her life isn't in danger at all. This means far more aggressiveness on the part of the pilots in pursuing mission objectives and getting the job done. We'll see it in our lifetime.
The Uber Target