Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Open Pit, Closed Pit, and "Locked Pit"

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

=S= Gentlemen,

I brought this to your attention because I was wondering if we have a double standard here on what is referred to as the following: Open Pit, Closed Pit and Locked Pit.

So first off, what do these terms mean?

To me I was conditioned to learn that Open Pit was Wonder Woman View or the view you get when you press Ctrl+F1 takes away the virtual cockpit and brings up a gyroscopic circle with the arrows that shows friendly or enemy aircraft nearby hence the F2 Key to allow you to see your aircraft. Basically how Skies~Of~Fire settings are.

Closed Pit to me I thought was disabling the Wonder Women View limiting you to just your cockpit still allowing the external views. Like how Skies~Of~Valor settings are.

Locked Pit was thought to be restricting you to use any external views or the Wonder Woman View, thus being locked in your cockpit. Which is how Spits vs 109s settings are.

It's was also known that you could in fact restrict external views however allow Wonder Woman View. Is this also considered Open Pit?

Certain servers have the term Locked Pit to let players know their settings are basically Full Real.

I kept hearing Closed Pit being referred to as Full Real knowing that most servers dub that as Locked Pit.

Basically Locked Pit meant Full Real, Closed Pit meant Skies~Of~Valor and Open Pit meant Wonder Woman View.
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

Smokin
Major
Major

Re: Open Pit, Closed Pit, and "Locked Pit"

Unread post by Smokin »

I always divided up IL2 into two categories, closed pit (Full real with or without speedbar), and open pit (external views with or without wonderwoman.)

Never heard of locked pit.

Zombie
Major
Major

Unread post by Zombie »

I thought the same as razzzzzz
When in doubt, kill em' for the meat.

Decker
Major
Major

Unread post by Decker »

S!
I only know of two.Open pit with external views and wonderwomen and closed pit where you only see from in your cockpit with no externals. thats all I have ever heard of.

Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to kill a fly with a sledgehammer.

Trouble4u
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Trouble4u »

I'm not really sure what the technical names are. I don't really know who would. But I see 3 different types of playing this game.

1. Skies of Fire. It makes IL2 totally a "game". Players who fly this style of the game are in it for quick action and the fun is from getting high score.

2. Skies of Valor. This combines a "game" and a "simulator" Since we lack the use of our real life senses the external views are very helpful in making up for this. The action is quicker than full real and the player can feel more like he's reliving WWII air combat. But for many high score is still a big factor and ones death means little

3. Full real. no externals, no wonder woman view. This is probably harder to fly than flying a real plane since in real life you can use all your senses and really feel the plane. This is a total "simulator" and people who fly this style are worried most about returning home after the mission than they are about making high score.

My preferred way to play IL2 is a skies of valor set up but with the frame of mind of a full real player. In other words I like my external views but its also more important to me to fly smart and stay alive than take risks to get a kill that I won't survive to tell about.
Trouble4u

Razgriz_37
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Razgriz_37 »

USL Did have a Locked Pit Division.

Trouble4u wrote:I'm not really sure what the technical names are. I don't really know who would. But I see 3 different types of playing this game.

1. Skies of Fire. It makes IL2 totally a "game". Players who fly this style of the game are in it for quick action and the fun is from getting high score.

2. Skies of Valor. This combines a "game" and a "simulator" Since we lack the use of our real life senses the external views are very helpful in making up for this. The action is quicker than full real and the player can feel more like he's reliving WWII air combat. But for many high score is still a big factor and ones death means little

3. Full real. no externals, no wonder woman view. This is probably harder to fly than flying a real plane since in real life you can use all your senses and really feel the plane. This is a total "simulator" and people who fly this style are worried most about returning home after the mission than they are about making high score.

My preferred way to play IL2 is a skies of valor set up but with the frame of mind of a full real player. In other words I like my external views but its also more important to me to fly smart and stay alive than take risks to get a kill that I won't survive to tell about.

See then it's more of whether IL2 did have 2 or 3 difficulty categories. And also the gameplay depends greatly on the server, IF Aces Over Burma was still up, it will be more objective based than on K/D ratio.

Somewhat like how UK Dedicated 1 and believe it or not, that's an open pit server or Wonder views available.
=AVG=Lt. Colonel Razgriz_37
Group Adjutant, =AVG=
3rd Pursuit HELL'S ANGELS

This moment was brought to you by RAM, Random Access Mind.

ScrewBall
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by ScrewBall »

I agree with Trouble with regard to gameplay mode; I like having the option of external views (esp.when spawning in at an unfamiliar airfield), but with the 'Full Real' mindset. For myself, if I'm looking for a 'game' as opposed to a 'simulation', that's what Tetris is for.
Maj.ScrewBall

Storm

Unread post by Storm »

There is Full Switch (all switches in the difficulty screen switched on) or not. That's the way I see it for the most part. To each his own.